Stuffed Up

February 10, 2011 at 8:17 pm 13 comments

No, don’t worry- I’m not sick.

Thanks to the miracle of a) herbal supplements and b) a concerted effort to get my beauty rest, my immune system seems to be alive and kicking even though the winter is relentlessly trying to beat me down.

Hah.  Take that winter.

But I will admit that the dry air that is plaguing my home, my office and generally every space that I have inhabited for the past 3 months is starting to wreak havoc on my sinuses.

My nose feels stuffy.

Good thing there’s spicy food.

Hello, old friend.

And since I haven’t had a chance to make it to the grocery store this week (shocker, right?), I had to figure out a vehicle for my chili sauce.

Pasta?  Yeah, pasta’ll work.

And then.  I got.  Kinda crazy.

First, I sauteed an onion and a couple cloves of garlic.

And then I added in a bunch of frozen, shelled edamame and sweet peas.

I threw the whole mess in my food processor.

I pulsed in about 1/2 cup of chicken broth (you could definitely use vegetable broth here, I just didn’t have any) and a bunch of chili sauce.

I processed it for a few minutes longer than you see it at this point.  I wanted to get it as smooth as possible so that I could toss it with the pasta and it would stick.

It worked, what can I say.  The mix had a spicy,  oniony richness with a sweet background from the peas.

And now I’m fed and happy.

Time for that beauty rest…

Foolproof Fish The $500 Round

• 1. Bethany @Bridezilla Bakes  |  February 10, 2011 at 8:33 pm

OK, is THAT why my sinuses have been terrible recently?? Because I have been stuffy and dry for a couple weeks as well (aren’t you glad I stopped by to tell you that?)… I need some of that spicy, sinus-clearing action as well!

• 2. Megan  |  February 11, 2011 at 9:45 am

Haha, well at least I’m glad I’m not the only one. Try buying some saline spray and use that a couple times a day. It helps, but it doesn’t get rid of the problem entirely. I can’t wait for spring!

• 3. Katie  |  February 10, 2011 at 8:54 pm

YUM. I love the greenness of it. You should eat it with eggs and ham. Get it? Green eggs and ham. I kill me.

• 4. sweetnessplus  |  February 10, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Did you toss that all together w/o following a recipe? b/c that looks amazing =) I have some edamame sitting in my freezer…I will have to try this some time!

Hope you feel better! =) and I’m So glad that I found your blog!

• 5. Megan  |  February 11, 2011 at 9:41 am

Thanks for commenting! Yeah, I just threw together things that I had in the house. This happens a lot when I don’t make it to the grocery store. :)

• 6. Amy @ Second City Randomness  |  February 10, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Comfort with a kick. Love it.

I keep opening my refrigerator and seeing the jalapeno jar. Then I wonder how they haven’t made it into any of my meals recently? This needs to change… because I need to spice up my life. Like a bad spice girls song…

• 7. lowandbhold  |  February 11, 2011 at 9:56 am

I am having the same problem. I need to get a humidifier, but I’m too cheap.

For dinner last night I ate gnocchi with Greek yogurt and hot sauce just to clear up my sinuses. It was odd, but delicious.

• 8. thehealthyapron  |  February 11, 2011 at 10:40 am

Oh how cute are you! New to your blog! Loving your apron in the about me!

• 9. Shanna, like Banana  |  February 11, 2011 at 11:05 am

I build my meals around how I can add chili sauce. Me and Siracha are bff…well so are me and Tapatio, but you get the point.

• 10. greensandjeans  |  February 11, 2011 at 10:00 pm

I just bought a humidifier! (It may or may not be meant for a kids room since it’s shaped like a penguin…)

• 11. Jen  |  February 12, 2011 at 5:58 am

I am ready for the crazy-ultra dry air to leave as well, and the snow to leave…
    Your dinner looks great!

• 12. emily (a nutritionist eats)  |  February 14, 2011 at 5:11 pm

What a creative meal! (I love that chili sauce)

• 13. Leah @ Why Deprive?  |  February 14, 2011 at 10:27 pm

That looks so good! My sinuses havent been bothering me, but the dry indoor air is beating the crap out of my skin.