Every Party Has a Planner…

February 17, 2011 at 1:17 am 13 comments

This is what happens when I decide to throw a dinner party:

I make detailed schedules to make sure that all the dishes are hot n’ ready (no, I don’t live at Little Caesars) at the same time and not a moment before I assume my guests will be ready to sit down to eat.

I have issues, yes.

But I’m also self aware enough to know that when it comes to making dinner, if I’m up the river without a plan I tend to unravel at an alarming speed.

The schedules help me.  Let’s face it.  I write a blog that focuses a LOT on delicious food.  There’s pressure when you invite friends over to eat YOUR delicious food.

But then again, sometimes schedules are made to be broken.

Like when I hit horrid traffic on my commute home.

Or when I turn on the TV while I’m getting ready and am instantly pulled into the time suck I like to call Bravo.

These things happen.

Luckily, I have friends that a) don’t mind waiting, b) are willing to help out and c) are awesome.

I am by no means a professional party-thrower (otherwise I’d call myself an “event coordinator”) but I know one thing:  plan on serving some quick and easy appetizers.

I had my friends help me put out some hummus and veggies and bagel chips with prepared bruschetta “dip” from Trader Joe’s.  Bagel chips and bruschetta is a magical combination, by the way.

Having appetizers ready to go gives people something to snack on when you inevitably end up getting behind on your timetable.

It also doesn’t hurt to feature a recipe that you’re very familiar with as the star of your dinner party.

Meatballs, anyone?

They aren’t just easy to make.  They’re also a dish that I grew up with, and I never mess with it.  It’s a traditional family recipe, and I wouldn’t want to shame the family by getting all epicurean on their asses.

You start by rolling the balls.

And then frying them in buttaahhh.  My family may not be Southern but we could definitely hang with Paula Deen.

Then you make the gravy.

And let them sit in the hot tub and get all happy and sexy.  Can meatballs be sexy?  Uhh…yes.

And then you have this:

On time or not, meatballs make people happy.

And that’s all that matters.

Tis The (election) Season This is What Happens…

• 1. Amy @ Second City Randomness  |  February 17, 2011 at 6:16 am

Your balls look pretty sexy to me…

Yeah, I thought I’d take the class of this post and just completely kill it. Sorry.

• 2. Megan  |  February 17, 2011 at 9:23 am

Haha, oh Amy, you kill me. :)

• 3. Bethany @Bridezilla Bakes  |  February 17, 2011 at 7:25 am

Looks like a great time! I do the same thing with the schedules — counting back from the time when I think we’ll want to eat, what I need to be doing, and when. But things never do follow the schedule!

• 4. Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather  |  February 17, 2011 at 8:59 am

Nice meatballs! Sometimes it pays not to mess with tradition.

• 5. Megan  |  February 17, 2011 at 9:23 am

I agree! It’s an old family recipe for a reason, right?

• 6. Shanna, like Banana  |  February 17, 2011 at 9:56 am

Is it weird that I’m still stuck on the Little Ceasar mention and would actually eat it right now…(yes it is pre-8am in Cali)

• 7. lowandbhold  |  February 17, 2011 at 9:58 am

Late can be good! Especially when the end result is that yummy looking and you have great apps to snack on.

• 8. emily (a nutritionist eats)  |  February 17, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I love how you write out the times, I do that too, but only if I need to really focus! :)

• 9. Megan  |  February 17, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Haha, I know, could I BE a bigger nerd?? :)

• 10. (what runs) Lori  |  February 17, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Dinner parties can totally be stressful and I’m one of those people who will get completely and utterly stressed. lol

But how fun is it to have friends over for a cooking dinner party?! Good times! And much more relaxing.

Mmmmmm meatballs… yum.

• 11. greensandjeans  |  February 18, 2011 at 8:13 am

We made meatballs last night which led to so many inappropriate ball jokes I don’t even know where to start.

• 12. Jenn (eating bender)  |  February 19, 2011 at 10:10 am

I love this, Megan! Your balls are amaze…balls. :)

I think the next step is for the two of us to throw a dinner party together. Thoughts?!

• 13. Megan  |  February 19, 2011 at 10:41 am

Yes. I’m in. You tell me when and we’ll make it happen!