‘Cause Grammy Ate It

February 28, 2011 at 7:00 pm 16 comments

I think by now I’ve established the fact that I am not a calorie counter.

As evidenced by this:

and this:

and definitely this:

Ok, that one doesn’t prove anything.

But that much dancing did require some serious caloric fuel.

So here’s a little something I haven’t shared before:

I studied abroad in Paris during the 2nd semester of my junior year of college.  My best friends there all worked in bars.  I went to said bars.  Often.  And there were about a million boulangeries close enough to spit on from my apartment, so I ate a lot of baguettes with beurre. And pain au chocolat for breakfast.

Needless to say, alcohol+white bread+French people thinking joggers are aliens from a very gauche planet = Megan putting on some serious fun chub.

So when I got back to the States, I realized that something had to change.  I joined Weight Watchers online (which I really recommend, by the way) and managed to take the extra weight off.

I did it by eating a ton of salad bar creations and 100 calorie pack this and that, cutting back on high fat food and drinks and working out like a demon.  Ok, maybe not like a demon.  But I was on a roll.

And it worked.  Limiting calories and adding exercise helped me lose the weight.  I felt like I was decently healthy.  But after a while, I realized that I needed to stop eating sugar-free/chemical-heavy Jello cups and “light” bread and start focusing on eating real food.

Like a giant plate of kale chips.

Ever since I saw that light my food mantra has morphed into: “if Grammy would’ve eaten it, then I’ll eat it“.

My grandparents didn’t eat a lot of processed food.  It really wasn’t around like it is today.  You actually had to *gasp* spend time in the kitchen to prepare dinner for your family.

The idea of that might be shocking and scandalous nowadays.

But the bottom line is that my grandparents were pretty healthy individuals (overall) despite their unabashed affinity toward butter and Sunday dinner rib roasts.

Fact: fat free, sugar free, freeze dried fake meat isn’t nearly as tasty as a rib roast.

And really isn’t any healthier when you think of all the processing that fake food was subjected to.

These eggs are real!

Eggs (well, whole eggs, not just the whites) are pretty high in fat, but they’re real.

So is mayo.

This egg salad might not be low fat or fancy in any way, but it’s classic.  And real.  That’s all I need.

Classic Egg Salad (2-3 servings)

4 eggs
1-2 T of real mayonnaise
2 small stalks celery, 1/2 lengthwise and diced
salt and pepper to taste
1 t dijon mustard (optional)
1/2 t cajun seasoning (optional)

Place eggs in a pot and cover with water (just so that the eggs are fully submerged).  Bring to boil.  Once the water comes to a rolling bubble, turn the heat off and let the eggs sit for 7-8 minutes before transferring to a bowl of ice water.

This prevents them from forming that gross gray layer around the yolk.

If you have a fancy egg dicer, now’s its time to shine.

Clearly, I do not.  Chopping the eggs with a plain old knife works just fine, though.

Place the chopped egg in a mixing bowl, add the mayo, celery, salt and pepper and mustard and cajun seasoning (if using).  Gently stir to combine.

I like to chill my egg salad before I eat it, so I threw the whole bowl in the fridge for about 15 minutes while I made some kale chips (tossed with olive oil and garlic salt, baked at 325° for about 10 minutes) and celery with peanut butter.

An admittedly eclectic meal.

Have I mentioned that celery with peanut butter is far superior to celery with anything else?   Because it is.

That’s a strong claim, I know.  But I’m prepared to stand by it.

Rounded out with a slice of Ezekial bread.

Slathered in butter.

Butter is real.

I’ll allow it.

D. E. Licious (restaurant reviews!) Skyscrapin’

• 1. Amy @ Second City Randomness  |  February 28, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Is it weird that I’m not a big “salad” person… when it comes to egg or chicken or what not? I think it’s the mayo- I’m very picky in how it’s used in things… please still be my friend. :)

• 2. Megan  |  March 1, 2011 at 9:09 am

That’s not that unusual- I think people either love mayo or hate it. This recipe really isn’t very mayo-y, though. It’s cool, though. We can still be friends.

• 3. Jaron  |  February 28, 2011 at 8:06 pm

last night during my (somewhat impromptu) Oscar gathering, I spread some Camembert on celery. it *might* rival the peanut butter/celery superlative… just sayin’.

• 4. Megan  |  March 1, 2011 at 9:08 am

Hmm, I’m not saying I wouldn’t try that…I’d never hate on cheese.

• 5. Leah @ Why Deprive?  |  February 28, 2011 at 10:06 pm

I knew I liked you! I agree so much – my Grandpa is 90 years old and can still drink, and have a good time. He might be a little slower, but for 90 years old he’s doing damn good. My dad and I talk all the time about how its because he ate butter. Real butter, not the fake crap.

BTW – now all I can think about is how I dont have any mayo and NEED some egg salad. :)

• 6. Katie  |  February 28, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I’d venture to say that celery is not worth eating if nut butter is not involved.

I studied abroad and also put on a bit of fun chub. Shockingly it came off when I wasn’t drinking like a fish every single night. Not that I did that. There was a lot of studying. A LOT.

• 7. greensandjeans  |  March 1, 2011 at 6:50 am

College was all about the fun chub for me, because drinking Keystone Light and eating cheesy bread is WAY fun.

• 8. lowandbhold  |  March 1, 2011 at 7:50 am

I actually dont know if I’ve ever had egg salad, but I know I would like it – I like eggs and mayo and salad. Why wouldn’t it be delicious?

I totally went through the diet-food thing too and then realized it made me skinny but I never felt very good. Now it’s whole foods, hot sauce and ice cream. Those are my food groups.

• 9. Megan  |  March 1, 2011 at 9:07 am

You should definitely try this egg salad recipe if you’ve never had it!! It’s really fast and easy. And the hot sauce- girl after my own heart. :)

• 10. DiningAndDishing  |  March 1, 2011 at 8:15 am

i gained weight when i was in europe too. i figured it was the trip of a lifetime so i didn’t care too much! definitely had to diet in a big way when i got back though :). all about enjoying the moment sometimes!

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

• 11. movesnmunchies  |  March 1, 2011 at 9:14 am

i LOVE your motto about ‘grammy!’ SO SO true!

• 12. emily (a nutritionist eats)  |  March 1, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Oooh, I LOVE egg salad!!!
    I haven’t made it in forever so clearly that needs to change. And I’d be all about the kale alongside it!

• 13. Megan  |  March 1, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Haha, I totally commented on your post yesterday that I hadn’t had kale and eggs together, but look at my dinner plate! I’m such a fraud!

• 14. Crabby…cakes « Braise the Roof  |  March 2, 2011 at 7:07 pm

[...] a great source of protein, it’s low and fat and calories (you know, if you pay attention to that sort of thing) and high in Omega-3′s and other vitamins and [...]

• 15. Bowl Full o’ Goodness « Braise the Roof  |  March 3, 2011 at 7:43 pm

[...] I lost the weight that I talked about here, I’ve basically been in “maintenance” mode, but that also means that I [...]

• 16. Sharon K  |  March 8, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I LOVE egg salad!! I like my homemade pimento cheese (made w/ a dash of hot suace!) for celery tho’…

Trying to be healthy now that I have officially gotten OLD! LOL!

~Kas