Sweet+Sour Braised Cabbage

March 16, 2011 at 8:47 pm 14 comments

Around this time every year, I feel the need not only to drink beer in unnatural colors, but I also feel the need to buy one of these:

It’s not always shredded cabbage.  Sometimes it’s whole.

But it’s always green cabbage.

And I always have the intention of making colcannon or corned beef and cabbage in honor of St Patrick’s Day.

And just to reiterate- I’m not even Irish.

Anyway, the cabbage will inevitably sit in my fridge for a few days while I slowly realize that once again, I have none of the other ingredients I’d need to actually make any kind of traditional Irish dish.

But this year I was bound and determined to use up that flippin’ cabbage.

But what to do with it…

First I thought I’d just saute it and wilt it up all nice and purty.

I chopped up an onion and some celery leaves and threw them in with the cabbage.

The reason behind the celery leaves is that in lots of coleslaw and other cabbage recipes you’ll find celery seed or celery salt, which helps bring out the flavor of the cabbage.  Of course I have neither of those, so I substituted with the next best thing.

(FYI, the leaf part of the celery is totally edible, just a little stronger and more bitter than the rest of the stalk)

Of course, I couldn’t be satisfied with JUST sauteed cabbage, so I decided to braise it.

It’s sort of my thing.  Being that this is…Braise The Roof.

And THEN.  Then, I had a genius idea.

First I decided that I needed some kind of sauce for the cabbage.

I toyed around with a cream sauce in my head, but decided that was too heavy.

Then I remembered the sweet and sour amazingness I made a few weeks ago.

And I decided that it would be perfect with cabbage.

Two words: Yum. Mmm.

Sweet & Sour Braised Cabbage
Serves 2

2/3 bag of shredded cabbage or 1/2 large cabbage, shredded
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 small stalk celery (from the middle) with leaves, chopped
1 t. olive oil
1/4-1/3 c. chicken or vegetable broth
1/4 c. sugar
1 T. ketchup
2 T. white wine vinegar
1/2 T. soy sauce
1/2 T. garlic salt

Heat oil in a medium-large skillet over medium heat.  Add onions and saute until translucent.  Add celery and leaves and cabbage.

Saute for about 5 minutes until everything begins to wilt.  Add broth, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and braise for about 45 minutes until the cabbage is soft. Uncover and simmer until most of the liquid has dissolved.

Make sauce by combining last 5 ingredients in a small bowl and mixing until sugar is dissolved.  Stir this into the cabbage mix.

The cabbage will release some liquid at this point, so crank up the heat a bit and cook until some of it cooks off.

I added some edamame to mine (for the record, this meal occurred before the great soy debate) and made some homemade potato chips to eat on the side.

This cabbage was arguably the best cabbage I’ve ever had.

Although if your Grandma is Irish, her cabbage is probably better.

I won’t argue that.

If you need something to make for St Patty’s Day tomorrow, make this.  It may not be traditional, but it’ll knock your green lovin’, leprechaun socks off.

No-carb-no-fat-no-fake-no-fun The Big Easy (restaurant review)

• 1. lowandbhold  |  March 16, 2011 at 9:15 pm

I LOVE cabbage! I feel like it’s one of those veggies that gets a bad rap, but it’s one of my faves. That looks great.

• 2. Amy @ Second City Randomness  |  March 16, 2011 at 10:03 pm

I really do love how much people celebrate St. Patty’s… I always downplayed it because I’m not Irish. Little did I know….

Have a good St. Patty’s tomorrow! :)

• 3. Katie  |  March 16, 2011 at 11:16 pm

I love braised cabbage. And I love ketchup. This is definitely getting made soon. Maybe tomorrow?

• 4. Megan  |  March 17, 2011 at 9:43 am

Yes, I think this would be a perfect Katie dish. But for you- double everything. I know how you go to town on veggies.

• 5. Can You Stay for Dinner  |  March 17, 2011 at 12:19 am

Oh my God I love that you made the most flavorful cabbage recipe imaginable. What a fabulous twist :)
    I really really need to have some corned beef tomorrow. Make me some?

• 6. Megan  |  March 17, 2011 at 12:02 pm

You got it. I’ll overnight it to your house. You can pay me in Pike’s Market fish. :)

• 7. Matt @ FaveDiets  |  March 17, 2011 at 8:21 am

This is such a cool twist on cabbage, and I also love using and eating celery leaves. Have any interest in submitting this to the FaveDiets blog hop?

• 8. Shanna, like Banana  |  March 17, 2011 at 9:50 am

I love me some cabbage..especially with an Irish/Chinese flair (?)!

Nom!

• 9. Jenny  |  March 17, 2011 at 12:50 pm

This looks so yummy! I have recently started liking cabbage…i have to try this!

• 10. Megan  |  March 17, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Great- this is a great way to get non-cabbage lovers to eat it, too!

• 11. Leah @ Why Deprive?  |  March 17, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I love cabbage. I randomly throw it into stuff all the time. Stir fry, soup, roasted veggies, whatever. Its always good. :)

• 12. emily (a nutritionist eats)  |  March 17, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Oooh, that sounds amazing! I love cabbage in all shapes, sizes and forms :)

• 13. A day late, a buck short « Making Food and Other Stuff  |  March 18, 2011 at 7:09 am

[…] for dinner I made Megan’s Sweet and Sour Braised Cabbage.  Which photographed extremely poorly, so I had fun playing with it in iphoto.  It wasn’t […]

• 14. (what runs) Lori  |  March 18, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Three words: Must Make Now.
    or later today… but must make!
    love the little potatoes next to the dish. :)