Lazy for the Win

August 26, 2011 at 2:45 pm 14 comments

I’ve established a pattern of (mostly) not cooking on the weekends.  Sure, sometimes I’ll make eggs for breakfast, but usually I’m out brunching or picking up a bagel around the corner.

And, seeing as I’m a hopeless social butterfly, I’m rarely home for dinner.  My wallet can prove it.

It seems that my kitchen wanted to take off early for the weekend this week.  After such a promising night of brussels sprout glory, I did not have any interest in being in my kitchen last night.

However, because I stocked up at Trader Joe’s this week, I knew that this could only mean one thing: lazy Mexican cop-out dinner, à la Jess.

I used her dinner from Wednesday as inspiration and threw together an easy stove top quesadilla.

With 2 whole wheat tortillas, leftover grilled chicken, bell peppers and onions sauteed with some enchilada sauce (it’s as good in quesadilla filling as on top of actual enchiladas) and cheddar cheese with salsa for dipping.

Took all of 10 minutes to make.

Dinner: check.

The ironic thing is that I had actually stocked up on some frozen entrees at Trader Joe’s, so I could’ve actually made things even easier on myself.

But, to be fair, that quesadilla was winning.

There were two intriguing items in the frozen section this week that were new to me.  I’m pretty sure they’re new to TJ’S as well, seeing as I stalk that store like it’s my job.  In fact, that should be my job.

This Thai green papaya salad:

I’ve heard a lot of people say that this is one of their favorite Thai menu items, but I’ve yet to try it.  I hope the frozen version doesn’t let me down.

And this pizza:

I am really excited to try this one.  It combines pretty much everything I love: pizza, Mexican, cheese, tomatillos, beans, oh my!

It takes so little to get me going.

Let’s just hope that I don’t try to cook that one up after a night at the bars.  It deserves to be consumed while totally coherent.

And my arm deserves to not be burned on the oven. Again.

TGIF, everyone.

Warm Brussels Sprout Salad The Family that Roasts Together

• 1. Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy  |  August 26, 2011 at 3:16 pm

nice job with the lazydillas, they really are spot-hitters :)
    And frozen pizzas don’t have a chance when i’m drunk.

• 2. Kacy  |  August 26, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I think we have the exact same approach to food, and I like it. I have many a TJ’s frozen meal at home right now and I may have to eat them all this weekend if the power goes out.

• 3. Katie  |  August 26, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Oh, but those are perfect for post-bar munchies!

• 4. Leah @ Why Deprive?  |  August 26, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Yep. Tortillas are a mandatory item in my kitchen specifically so I can make half assed quesadillas whenever I’m too lazy to cook. Which is a lot.
    But to be fair, you can’t go wrong with anything you fill with cheese.

• 5. Megan  |  August 30, 2011 at 10:18 am

Truer words have never been typed.

• 6. Amy @ Second City Randomness  |  August 27, 2011 at 7:42 am

I usually keep a crappy pizza in the freezer for when I get back from the bars. It still tastes amazing- even if it’s cheap as hell. Which reminds me I need to restock…

• 7. Megan  |  August 30, 2011 at 10:18 am

This is why I buy frozen pizza from TJ’s- cheap and yet not crappy at all! Win!

• 8. Megan (The Runner's Kitchen)  |  August 27, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Mmm, quesadillas. Perfect for all meals – bfast, lunch, dinner, and late night drunk munchies :) And unlike many post-bar foods, you can make them sorta healthy (ww tortillas and veggies). Yours look really good!

• 9. Megan  |  August 30, 2011 at 10:18 am

It’s true- at least I got the whole wheat thing going for me!

• 10. SIL  |  August 29, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Man oh man am I jealous of your TJ’s loot. That quesadilla looks rocking good BTW!!

• 11. cindylu  |  August 29, 2011 at 7:59 pm

My favorite quesadillas are on corn tortillas (corn is always better in my book and whole wheat tortillas taste like cardboard) with jack cheese, a slice of cold cuts (ham works best) and some hot sauce.

• 12. MelissaNibbles  |  August 30, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Love the dillas. I eat cheap meals all week so I can eat out on the weekend. That’s how my wallet rolls!

• 13. Megan  |  August 31, 2011 at 9:05 am

You and me both, girl.

• 14. Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine)  |  August 30, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Yum! I loove Trader Joe’s frozen dinners too :)