Southwestern Twice Baked Potatoes

October 4, 2011 at 6:36 pm 15 comments

I know this is probably going to come off as insanely self-righteous, but sometimes I’m really glad that I’m on a budget.

It forces me to actually use my brain when it comes to preparing dinner instead of just reaching for a take-out menu or throwing a filet mignon on the barbie.

For the record, when I am someday off this budget train I plan on eating filet mignon and steamed lobster every. day.  That’s how these money bags roll.

Anyway, as it turns out, I was still aboard the budget train as of last night.  Enter this magic:

After being inspired by Leah’s chili-topped potato yesterday, I decided that I needed a variation on that theme in my life.

Luckily, being as I like to play the “this costs less than $1.99 at Trader Joe’s so I’ll buy it!” game, I happened to have a potato.

Which I baked.

I also had a can of fat-free vegetarian refried beans:

So, I think we’re up to about $1.10 for the ingredients so far…not bad, not bad.

After I baked the potato, I mashed it up with a scoop of beans, some shredded cheddar and some chopped up broccoli.  I stirred in some garlic powder, red chili flakes and ground cumin, too.

Who says budgeting can’t be fancy?

So (not counting the spices) I’m up to about $2, given the amount of beans and cheese that I used.

Re-stuffed, topped with extra beans and cheese and re-baked.

I roasted some veggies to go alongside for good measure- and because it’s a force of habit- but this potato is a meal on its own.  I actually only ate half and saved the rest for lunch today.

Which means this dinner actually only cost me about $1.

Budgeting FTW!

Southwestern Twice Baked Potato
serves 1

1 medium/large baking potato
1/2 cup vegetarian refried beans
1/4 cup chopped broccoli
1/8 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese+more for topping
1/4 t red chili flakes
1/4 t garlic powder
1/4 t ground cumin
1/8 t salt
1 t butter (optional)

1. Heat oven to 400° and bake potato until fork tender, about 1 hour.
2. Carefully cut a slit in the top of the potato and scoop out most of the flesh into a bowl, leaving the skin as a shell.  Reserve.
3. Combine 1/4 cup beans, cheese, broccoli, butter (if using) and spices and mash together to combine.
4. Spoon mixture back into the potato shell and top with remaining beans and cheese.
5. Place potato on a piece of tin foil or baking sheet and return to oven.  Cook for an additional 10-15 minutes, turning broiler on for the last few minutes to slightly brown the cheese.

A Davis St Birthday [restaurant review] If You’re Serious About Budgeting…

• 1. Leah @ Why Deprive?  |  October 4, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Yum! I love this idea so much. And I love that you added broccoli. Potato and broccoli go so good together. I like the way it feels in my mouth (that’s what she said!!!!).

• 2. Kacy  |  October 4, 2011 at 7:43 pm

I agree, I come up with some awesome stuff when I’m really pinching the pennies. It’s been awhile since it’s happened, but when it does it’s solid gold!

• 3. Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy  |  October 4, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Is it weird I’m a little turned on right now? That looks fantastic. Sexual potato, please.

• 4. Megan  |  October 5, 2011 at 9:32 am

With a side of sexual chocolate, I assume.

• 5. Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com  |  October 4, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Cheap AND fancy? Bestill my heart. I love this potato. And need to try to get creative with the odds and ends in my fridge instead of hitting up grubhub.com

• 6. Amy @ Second City Randomness  |  October 5, 2011 at 6:01 am

Loaded potatoes of any variety are fabulous. I used to order them at this deli place in college, and then realized exactly what you did. An $8 potato at a restaurant is just silly. I can make it at home for less than half that.

• 7. Megan  |  October 5, 2011 at 9:32 am

True story- they’re so easy to make! Those restaurants are committing highway robbery.

• 8. Kelly  |  October 5, 2011 at 9:22 am

Mmm twice baked potatoes. Those used to be my go-to prepared food purchases at the grocery store at home. Must try myself.

• 9. mykindoftownchicago  |  October 5, 2011 at 10:00 am

This looks amazing. I’m doing it next week, I’ve made up my mind!

• 10. Marla @ Your Full Plate  |  October 5, 2011 at 11:34 am

Thanks for the twice-baked-potato inspiration, I’m already thinking of so many different variations! And I’m totally with you about being grateful to be on a budget. I feel like it’s made me way more resourceful, and I also have such good control over my money now that when there’s more there I’ll know just what to do with it.

• 11. Megan  |  October 6, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Absolutely. Suffering is all about the life lessons. ;)

• 12. SIL  |  October 5, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I friggin love this and will totally be ripping it off b/c that is a veggie meal the Hubby will actually eat since those are 3 of his favorite ingredients (potato/cheese/beans)!! THANK YOU!!

• 13. Megan  |  October 6, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Awesome! Let me know how it goes over! :)

• 14. emily (a nutritionist eats)  |  October 6, 2011 at 10:57 am

That is impressive meal budgeting. Please help me, I’m terrible at it!!!!

• 15. If You’re Serious About Budgeting… « Braise the Roof  |  October 11, 2011 at 6:24 pm

[…] think I raved enough about these potatoes that you probably know by now that they were amazing and cheap (about $1 per stuffed […]