More Than Making Do

April 11, 2012 at 6:39 pm 11 comments

I am, it seems, perpetually in a state of returning home after a long absence.

This is, in part, because I work 25 miles from my apartment and my commute takes about half a year. Each way.

It is also in part due to the fact that my family lives closer to my place of work than I do, so I sometimes stay with them rather than deal with the aforementioned commute.

Consequently, I’ve been noticing the influx of food in my kitchen adopting an interesting pattern as of late.  It goes like this: normal grocery trip, prepare/eat like a normal person with supplies dimishing accordingly, vacate apartment for a period, return home and embark on massive grocery trip after which I cook and gorge like a beast, resume normal grocery trip.

Currently I’m between phases 3 and 4, meaning that I have returned but have not gone to the store.

Remarkably, given the miracle of the freezer and produce with long shelf lives, I’ve actually managed to squeeze out some damn fine meals.

For one thing, this:

I took a frozen piece of naan bread, covered it in buffalo sauce, scallions and a chicken sausage, sprinkled it with cheese and baked it until browned and bubbly.

This was a fairly dangerous discovery.  I have an aversion to making any kind of bread (it’s a “fear of using yeast” thing) and knowing that I can make pizza at any time means that I’ll probably be using this as a cop-out meal a lot going forward.

Sorry, jeans. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Sunday Fun. Day. Because You Didn’t Ask

• 1. Amy @ Second City Randomness  |  April 11, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I go through a similar routine. However, I’m on that “gorge and eat whatever I can get my grubby paws on” phase right now and would like some naan pizza. Even though I’ve already had dinner. And then some… eek!

• 2. Emily Dingmann (@nutritionisteat)  |  April 12, 2012 at 12:19 am

Yeah, it will be a regular meal. I make pizzas with tortillas and find myself making excuses to eat them ALL THE TIME!!! :) I will be picking up some naan and chicken sausage the next time I’m at TJ’s!

• 3. Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy  |  April 12, 2012 at 8:41 am

I would enjoy incorporating naan more frequently into my meals. But it is never as delicious as the fresh stuff from a real Indian restaurant…which is why smothering it with buffalo sauce is GENIUS.

• 4. Megan  |  April 12, 2012 at 10:07 am

See, now, you just haven’t tried TJ’s naan. It’s damn good- comparable to restaurant quality, I’d say. I realize that could be a controversial statement, but I’m sticking to my guns. But buffalo sauce makes even excellent things better, so there ya go. :)

• 5. Ameena  |  April 12, 2012 at 10:22 am

Naan is so delicious. And thank goodness for the invention of the frozen TJ naan! It gives me my fix when I can’t hit an Indian restaurant…

• 6. Leah @ Why Deprive?  |  April 12, 2012 at 10:39 am

That sounds amazing. Naan is sooo good, and I’m kind of feeling disappointed with myself for never thinking to use it for pizza. Good thing I’m planning to hit Trader Joe’s this weekend, now I can make up for it.

• 7. Holly (@TheHealthyE)  |  April 12, 2012 at 12:14 pm

OH MY GOSH I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE. that lil’ naan pizza of deliciousness looks so frackin’ good.

naan 4 life.

• 8. lowandbhold  |  April 12, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I have this weird aversion to buying a lot of groceries. I think not having a car is only going to make this worse. I just buy enough to make one or two recipes and then live on leftovers and frozen stuff or eat out. It’s not very glamorous.

• 9. Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com  |  April 12, 2012 at 10:12 pm

I commend you on getting creative with what you’ve got in your cupboards. When I’m overdue for a grocery run I usually just order take-out…Which explains why I’m broke. :) I’m going to vow to try to use up what I have before hitting grubhub.com next time. Key word = TRY. Also, I could eat naan pizza every day. Fact.

• 10. mykindoftownchicago  |  April 13, 2012 at 11:10 am

I love the idea of using naan for pizza- that looks freaking delicious to me!

• 11. Pizza in Disguise « Braise the Roof  |  April 18, 2012 at 8:20 pm

[...] I ate pizza for dinner again tonight.  Ever since I discovered that naan makes an excellent pizza crust, I’ve been having pizza a lot. To be fair, I did see this coming.  And I’m not saying [...]