Kettlecorn Cauliflower

April 17, 2012 at 10:56 am 10 comments

I don’t know about you, but I’m a bulk eater.

I know I’m not the only one.  There’s a reason we struggle with obesity in America.  All-you-can-eat buffets, supersized restaurant portions, 2-hour deep-dish pizza tours.  That last one was a group deal sent to my inbox this morning.  We like to eat.

I’m not going to get political on you here, my point is merely that it’s part of our culture to eat and to eat a lot.

I don’t know a person who doesn’t like a snack while they watch a movie (or trashy Bravo TV, as it were).  Sure, popcorn can be a good choice (assuming it’s not doused in a stick of buttah). This weekend, however, I decided that I could use a serving of vegetables as I settled in with my rental movie.

Popcorn cauliflower has been making the rounds, as I mentioned.  Let’s be honest here, it’s not going to compare to real popcorn.  It’s a completely different beast. BUT, it serves the same purpose in that it’s made up of the same bite-sized pieces and you can eat it with your fingers.

Plus, there are more antioxidants and vitamins and all that good stuff in the cauliflower version.

Here’s my twist on it, just to make it slightly more indulgent.

Kettlecorn Cauliflower
serves 1

1 cup cauliflower, cut into small florets
1/4 t garlic powder
1/8 t red pepper flakes
salt+pepper to taste
1/2 t honey
1 t breadcrumbs

1. Preheat oven to 425°
2. Place cauliflower on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray in a single layer.
3. Sprinkle with spices and honey, toss to combine and ensure that all cauliflower is coated in the honey.
4. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over the cauliflower and place in oven.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the edges of the cauliflower begin to brown. Serve hot.

A little bit sweet, a little bit salty, a little bit spicy. And thanks to the roasting, it even has a little crunch.

A little crunch.  This is not actual popcorn, I make no pretense.

But it was pretty darn good sitting down with a big plate of this to watch my movie.

Of course, then I realized that the DVD was defective and wouldn’t play.

So I just ate my cauliflower.

I could do worse.

Because You Didn’t Ask Pizza in Disguise

• 1. Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com  |  April 17, 2012 at 11:11 am

Genius! Pure genius. I love this. Can we have a “Mad Men” viewing party and eat this? Please?!

Also… Is that spicy may on the back right corner of your plate? I’m pretty sure it is. I can spot that stuff from a mile away now…

• 2. Megan  |  April 17, 2012 at 12:12 pm

YES, I will make a big batch. Plus, martinis. Obviously. (And yes, it’s spicy mayo. Way to call me out.)

• 3. Amy @ Second City Randomness  |  April 17, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I really have started to enjoy cauliflour. Steamed or roasted. Doesn’t matter. It’s sorta like tofu in the way that you can flavor it a million different ways and just becomes whatever you want it to.

• 4. Megan  |  April 17, 2012 at 12:12 pm

You know I like a good versatile ingredient. Works into my whole “budget” thing. :)

• 5. Leah @ Why Deprive?  |  April 17, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I love cauliflower. I’m the freakshow that will roast an entire head of it and then eat it all for dinner. I’m a big fan of this idea.

• 6. Megan  |  April 18, 2012 at 10:05 am

Well, see, now you have dinner AND a movie snack. :)

• 7. Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy  |  April 17, 2012 at 7:44 pm

I just started to actually like cauliflower. But is there any other kind of eater than a bulk eater? I am unfamiliar with these other options.

• 8. Megan  |  April 18, 2012 at 10:04 am

I hear they only exist in France.

• 9. lowandbhold  |  April 19, 2012 at 9:21 am

I really want to like cauliflower but I usually don’t unless it’s simmered in curry sauce. Perhaps this would change my mind though.
    And I would totally participate in a pizza tour…

• 10. Megan  |  April 19, 2012 at 9:54 am

I think this could change your mind…try it! I double dog dare you.