Strawberry Avocado Pico de Gallo

April 25, 2012 at 8:26 pm 8 comments

I learned an important lesson over the weekend.  Do not go to the grocery while you are stressed out.

You’ve heard about the whole “don’t go to the grocery store when you’re hungry” thing, right? Stress shopping is its psychological counterpart and is equally devastating to the wallet.

What I’m trying to say is that I came home from Trader Joe’s this weekend having spent about 25% more than my weekly haul usually costs me. I actually consider that an accomplishment given the crazed mental state that I was in.

As it turned out, I didn’t actually do too badly.  I bought some extra lean protein, a bag of edamame crackers (which are excellent, by the way), and this bad boy:

I don’t buy avocados very often. Maybe it’s because I am usually cooking for myself and can very easily inhale one all on my lonesone in a single sitting. Maybe it’s because they always seem to be the most expensive produce item in the store. Maybe it’s because they often become a vehicle for far too many chips to pass through my lips.

Regardless, in my weakened state I caved and bought this beauty and waited four whole days for it to ripen.

Given the amount of patience I bestowed on my avocado, I decided that merely smashing it into guacamole wouldn’t do. Oh no, this avocado was destined for greater things.

Behold:

Strawberry Avocado Pico de Gallo
serves 2

1/2 ripe avocado
5 ripe strawberries, diced
1/8 cup onion, finely diced
1/8-1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
salt, to taste
squeeze of fresh lime juice

1. Cut crosshatches in the flesh of the avocado and scoop into a bowl with a spoon.
2. Combine with remaining ingredients and serve immediately.

I added shrimp to mine and had a nice little ceviche-style dish with a side of blue corn tortilla chips.

You could (and should) also add some jalapeno to this for some heat, but I tragically neglected to pick one up during my free-for-all.

I told you stress can have serious consequences.

New Levels Out and Back

• 1. Jenn (eating bender)  |  April 26, 2012 at 2:26 am

I’m sorry to hear about the stress – hope that you’re feeling better now! I have definitely had a stress shopping spree a few (read: many) times in my history. I usually end up with some sort of dessert or an extra bottle of wine.

On the plus side, that recipe sounds amazing! Never would have thought to combine avocado and strawberries, but it looks great with the shrimp.

• 2. Amy @ Second City Randomness  |  April 26, 2012 at 5:54 am

Avocado instead of ice cream when you’re stressed? This is news to me!

And I’ll agree with the buying of the avocado. Once you cut in, it just seems like they go bad so quickly! So then it’s just a matter of “maybe I’ll just eat the whole thing now… ” Probably the reason why I first skim menus for guac or avocado included in sandwiches and such…

• 3. Matt @ FaveGlutenFreeRecipes  |  April 26, 2012 at 9:02 am

Sounds like an interesting idea. I’m usually rather standard in my choice of chip dips, so I may have to mix things up and try this out.

• 4. lowandbhold  |  April 26, 2012 at 9:54 am

Stress always leads to some sort of money outflux for me. Groceries are probably a pretty reasonable place for it to happen. I hope the stress gets better!

• 5. Megan  |  April 30, 2012 at 12:41 pm

True, at least I got some healthy stuff!

• 6. Leah @ Why Deprive?  |  April 26, 2012 at 11:39 am

I’m horrible for stress shopping. Usually I’m super tight with my money, and hate spending it on anything at all, but when I’m stressed I go crazy. It’s weird.

• 7. Ameena  |  April 26, 2012 at 3:28 pm

It makes sense right? You are stressed so you buy stuff that will calm you down. And don’t be too hard on yourself…it’s not like you bought some Louboutin’s right? :)

• 8. Megan  |  April 30, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Absolutely- it could have been far worse. :)