Norwegian Cucumber Salad

October 2, 2012 at 9:29 pm 14 comments

Remember the labskaus that I wrote about recently?

Remember how I promised that I’m going to make it and post a recipe soon?

Yeah, still haven’t done that.

But per Shelby’s request, I’m posting a Scandinavian recipe today.

It’s pretty much the simplest recipe that exists in Nordic cuisine, so yeah, it’s a little bit of a cop out.

But it’s quick, healthy and tastes good, so I’m apologizing for nothing.

Cucumber salad (in Norwegian: agurksalat) is one of those foods that I see on the table almost every time my family makes Scandinavian food. Generally it’s served as a side to open-faced sandwiches, salmon dinners or if you’re feeling frisky, just a few shooters of akvavit.

Agurksalat (Norwegian Cucumber Salad)

1 seedless cucumber
1/2 cup white vinegar (I used white wine vinegar)
1/2 cup water
2-3 T white sugar
1/2 t salt
pinch of pepper
parsley, to garnish (optional)

1. Thinly slice cucumber into coins. Aim for slices about the thickness of pepperoni.
2. Combine vinegar, water, sugar, salt and pepper and pour over cucumber.
3. Allow to sit for about 30 minutes to allow the dressing to absorb into the cucumber.

Like I said, it’s one of the simplest salads in existence.

And no, Shelby, these are NOT pickles.  Because I know you’re going to think they are.  They’re just fancy cucumbers is all.

Spaghetti Squash Stroganoff Bake Move That Gigantic Cotton Candy

• 1. Emily Dingmann (@nutritionisteat)  |  October 2, 2012 at 11:12 pm

I adore cucumber salads like this. It does kind of remind me of pickles…sorry to your heritage. :)

• 2. Megan  |  October 3, 2012 at 10:00 am

Haha, no insult. I was just tryin’ to sell it to Shelby. ;)

• 3. Michelle @ Eat Move Balance  |  October 3, 2012 at 4:02 am

I’ve made this once, and you’re right….it’s so simple and tastes so good. I need to do it again. :)

• 4. Amy @ Second City Randomness  |  October 3, 2012 at 6:35 am

Enjoy the salad. I’ll just instead take the cucumber slices and work on my puffy eyes while everyone else eats… :)

• 5. shelby  |  October 3, 2012 at 8:28 am

THOSE ARE TOTALLY PICKLES.

I request a re-do. :)

• 6. Megan  |  October 3, 2012 at 10:00 am

Haha, YOU’RE SUCH A WIMP.

• 7. Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy  |  October 3, 2012 at 8:35 am

I always forget about cucumber salad, it is so easy, but soooo delicious.

• 8. Kacy  |  October 3, 2012 at 9:51 am

We always used to have this growing up, and I love it. I didn’t know it was Nordic though. Look at me being cultured :)

• 9. Megan  |  October 3, 2012 at 10:01 am

Hey, lookie there!

• 10. Katie @ Blonde Ambition  |  October 3, 2012 at 2:53 pm

I love cucumber salad! This is very similar to one my mom makes…but she’s super Italian so…. not sure where that connection came from! :P

• 11. Megan  |  October 4, 2012 at 9:25 am

I think it exists in a lot of different cuisines. I’m Scandinavian, ergo this salad is Scandinavian. :)

• 12. LiveForTheRun  |  October 4, 2012 at 7:52 am

Love the pickle argument going on, haha. This seems summery fresh, yet perfect for crisp fall!

• 13. Megan  |  October 4, 2012 at 9:25 am

It’s a very important debate, let me assure you.

• 14. Leah @ Why Deprive?  |  October 4, 2012 at 6:07 pm

I thoroughly enjoy that you said to slice the cucumber the same thickness as pepperoni instead of using some kind of actual measurement. I don’t know what this says about me, but I have a WAY easier time figuring that out.