Showers for Dummies

May 6, 2013 at 6:24 pm 15 comments

I don’t know whether I’d classify myself as a “girls’ girl” or more of a “guys’ girl”.

While I certainly enjoy my sporting events, I enjoy my high heels just as much.

And I’ll say this much: the convention of baby/bridal showers, engagement parties and the like have always sort of baffled me.  As in, “where do I go?”, “can I wear jorts?”, “what the heck is a swaddler?”.  You know what I’m talking about.

But as I suddenly find myself to be a real-live adult with grown up friends, I think I’m finally getting the swing of these things.

So when my good buddy, Alison announced that she was pregnant, planning for a baby shower began.

20130505_175551

You all know how I have issues controlling myself when it comes to deciding how much food to make, right?

photo(2)

Ta da!

And I have to say that for once in my life, I think I actually planned for an appropriate number of dishes, so I thought I’d share the contents of the spread.  ‘Tis shower season, after all!

The line up included:

photo(5)

Crab rangoon wonton cups (loosely following the recipe from Steamy Kitchen).

photo(3)

Chicken salad in endive leaves (I didn’t really use a recipe for this one, just threw some ingredients in a bowl and called it good).

Plus the obligatory chips and salsa and guacamole, lest we forget that Sunday was also Cinco de Mayo.

photo(4)

A zucchini flatbread on Trader Joe’s garlic and herb pizza dough (oh man, go try that stuff now, it is delicious).

Buffalo deviled eggs (I just threw some wing sauce and ranch dressing along with about a tablespoon of light mayo in with the yolks and then piped the filling into the whites).

photo(6)

Crostini with Boursin, apple and honey.  These may have been the crowd favorite.  All I know is we took down almost every single one of those little toasts.

Plus cupcakes from my friend, Sarah!

photo(7)

And of course, plenty of mimosas.

As a rule, I think showers should always include mimosas.

I think most things in life should include mimosas, actually.  It’s illegal to be in a bad mood when drinking a mimosa in most states in the union. That’s a fact and you know it.

Thanks to Sarah, Molly and Shannon for the help setting up – you guys are amazing!

And congrats to the mom-to-be!

Alison – you just wait until the little one is here and we can resume drinking ALL THE MIMOSAS.

20130505_175544

Not that we really need them.

Bacon Zucchini Hash Brown Casserole Summer Food

• 1. LiveForTheRun  |  May 7, 2013 at 6:51 am

Are you sure this was your first?! You are like a Pinterest explosion of amazingness!

What a beautiful shower, and seriously tasty ideas.

High five!

• 2. Megan  |  May 7, 2013 at 11:14 am

Aw, thank you!! I don’t know if I’m PINTEREST worthy, but the food did taste pretty darn good! :)

• 3. Katie @ Blonde Ambition  |  May 7, 2013 at 10:59 am

Nicely done, friend. That is an impressive spread! And i’m sure it didn’t go unappreciated :)

Boursin and apples sounds amaaaazing. Not surprised it was the crowd favorite.

• 4. Megan  |  May 7, 2013 at 11:15 am

Man, it really is a great combo. I highly recommend it.

• 5. Ameena  |  May 7, 2013 at 11:05 am

You did a great job! Everything looks delicious.

Love the cute pictures too. :)

• 6. Megan  |  May 7, 2013 at 11:15 am

Thank you, Ameena!

• 7. Kacy  |  May 7, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Looks like a wonderful shower! I have no idea the protocol for such things. If I had to throw one, I think I’d have a meltdown. I am nervous at the thought of simply attending my wedding showers. I don’t know how to act.
    But delicious food and booze is always good!

• 8. Emily Dingmann (@nutritionisteat)  |  May 7, 2013 at 4:59 pm

SO impressed!

• 9. Ashley Bee  |  May 8, 2013 at 9:06 am

What a great spread! :)

• 10. Leah @ Why Deprive?  |  May 8, 2013 at 10:48 am

I want all those things. When I get pregnant, I may fly you out here just to cook for my shower ok?

• 11. Jenn (eating bender)  |  May 8, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Um, holy amazing! Your spread looks incredible and very Pinterest professional. :) I am in complete agreement on the mimosas, too. Congrats to Alison and kudos to you and your mad shower skillz!

• 12. GiGi Eats Celebrities  |  May 8, 2013 at 9:45 pm

OMG you are the BEST FRIEND!!!!! :)

• 13. James  |  May 13, 2013 at 1:04 pm

WOW! For being baffled by showers you NAILED it! My wife has been rummaging through ideas and research for months for her friend’s bridal shower. Congrats to your friend and way to go on all the awesome finger foods!

• 14. Lawyer Loves Lunch  |  May 15, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Wandered by from Ameena’s blog and I’m so glad I did! I love the spread for the shower. I’ve already bookmarked the crab rangoons and eggs for my next soiree :)

• 15. financial information  |  June 9, 2013 at 11:22 am

I’m curious to find out what blog system you are utilizing? I’m having some
    minor security problems with my latest site and I would like to find something more secure.
    Do you have any recommendations?