The Best Baked Sweet Potato Fries
A mighty lofty claim to make, I know.
I should just say, “My Favorite Sweet Potato Fries” but that doesn’t sound nearly as impressive, does it?
This has basically become my go-to method for preparing sweet potatoes. Sure, it takes a little longer than throwing one in the microwave, but the hands on time is actually quite minimal.
And no, to answer your question, this doesn’t really qualify as a “recipe”. I mean, if I were the Food Network and I posted this as a recipe, I’m aware that I’d be opening myself up to a slew of snarky reviews. (Remember late night bacon? And frozen grapes?)
I just hope you try making your sweet potatoes with coconut oil like I do. Even if you’re not a big coconut fan (I wasn’t for YEARS, I tell you), you’ll still like these. The coconut flavor really isn’t very noticeable, but the oil lends a nice complementary sweetness to the ‘tatoes.
Coconut Baked Sweet Potato Fries
2 large sweet potatoes (or yams)
1 T coconut oil
kosher salt+black pepper, to taste
1. Peel sweet potatoes if desired (I generally don’t) and cut into matchsticks about 1/4’1/2″ thick.
2. Turn the oven on to heat to 400°.
3. Place the sweet potatoes on a sheet pan with the coconut oil and immediately into the oven.
4. Allow the pan to begin to heat up, which will melt the coconut oil. Once it’s completely melted (about 2 minutes), remove from oven and toss the fries until completely coated.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste and make sure fries are in a single layer on the sheet pan. Place back in oven.
6. After about 20 minutes, carefully toss the fries and rotate the pan back to front to evenly cook.
7. Bake an additional 20-25 minutes until golden brown and tender in the center.
Like I said, this isn’t a complicated recipe. In fact, it’s more of a method than anything.
It’s just that the sweet potato + coconut combo is just so darn good that I felt compelled to share it with you all.
And yeah, in case it’s not perfectly evident from the photos in this post, I will serve these sweet potato fries with just about anything.
They’re THAT good.
(In other news, I made mashed sweet potatoes with a pat of coconut oil last night and oh man YES. Try that, too.)
Entry filed under: Uncategorized. Tags: .