Whenever I type the word “mango” I immediately think of Chris Kattan’s Mango sketch from SNL back in the day.
No, just me?
Fine. No Mango for you!
I just keeeding. You can have mango in this salad!
I’m obviously not a trendsetter when it comes to new food finds. I’m not even really on top of the trends. But give it a good six months to a year and I’m alllll over it.
That is to say that I picked up a jar of coconut oil at Trader Joe’s yesterday and I’m pretty sure I’m now on that bandwagon in a big way.
I immediately put it to use as a flavor base in this summery chicken salad.
Mango Coconut Chicken Salad
1 chicken breast, cooked and shredded or diced
1/4 large red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 large mango, diced
1/4 cup shelled edamame
3/4 T coconut oil, measured solid
1 1/2 T light sour cream
1/2 t red pepper flakes
1. Place a skillet over medium heat and add coconut oil until it melts (FYI, coconut oil’s melting point is about 73°, so it should be a soft solid at room temperature).
2. Add onion and saute until slightly softened, about 3-4 minutes.
3. Add chicken and edamame and heat through.
4. Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
5. Remove from heat and stir in mango and sour cream. Serve.
I ate this for dinner over a big bed of spinach (that whole green vegetable deficiency is still hanging over me), and I will tell you- it was delightful.
Colorful, light, and you could definitely taste the coconut flavor coming through. The mango wakes the flavor up nicely, too.
I should really start cooking with mangoes more often.
But if I start talking in the Mango voice permanently, promise me you’ll cut me off.