A scene from my weekend:
It’s official. I love country music and I don’t care who knows it.
Also, Dierks Bentley is hunky. The baseball hat+white t-shirt+jeans gets me every time. See him on the jumbotron there? He was the closing act at the Taste of Chicago on Sunday and I am too cheap to pony up for actual seats so Chrissy and I sat on the lawn in the free section.
He’s still hunky on the jumbotron, I promise.
Anyway, all that is to say that I made another salad!
How’s that for a segue?
And yes, I realize that I literally just posted a salad recipe yesterday, so just bear with me. The salads are nothing alike, and if your summer has been anything like mine you could probably use a few salads in rapid fire succession.
1 cup broccoli, cut into small florets
1 cup cauliflower, cut into small florets
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 T coconut oil, measured solid
1/2 t red chili flakes, or to taste
1 T light sour cream (optional)
1/2 oz chopped walnuts
1. Place broccoli and cauliflower in a pot with an inch or two of water, cover and steam until crisp-tender (about 4-5 minutes).
2. While veggies are steaming, place onion slices in a bowl filled with ice water. This will take some of the raw onion bite out of them (ie, you won’t burp them up- you’re welcome).
3. Once veggies are steamed, add them to the bowl with onions to stop the cooking process and drain.
4. In a skillet, melt coconut oil over medium heat. Add all veggies and spices and heat through.
5. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream and walnuts. Serve warm or chill in refrigerator and serve cold.
And then you’ll be all set for some more beers in the sun since that’s what summer’s all about anyway, right?
Rinse and repeat.