Ok, first thing’s first:
Who watched HBB last week? You know I did, and yes, it was everything I had hoped it would be.
Although, I’ll admit, the scratch ‘n sniff element wasn’t as glorious as I envisioned. Mostly because I was really gunning for a fart-scented patch. But I understand. America just isn’t ready for that.
I do honestly think that they should hire me to work on that show, though. While you might not think that this Banana-Republic-wearing-raised-in-Connecticut-Presbyterian girl would understand the Thompson clan, I do. I really, really do.
(New episode tomorrow night, 9/8C. I’m sure I’ll be tweeting my way through it – @braisetheroof – in case you want live updates)
Anyway, onto more…appetizing subjects.
Alright, I will grant you that that dish isn’t exactly the most photogenic, but it’s quick, simple, healthy, and most importantly, tastier than roadkill hog.
This recipe can easily be doubled, tripled or quadrupled to feed a crowd.
Cheesy Veggie Saute
1 small zucchini, or 1/2 a large zucchini, sliced into half-moons
3 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
3 oz brussels sprouts, trimmed and sliced thin
1 chicken sausage link (any flavor/brand you prefer), sliced into half-moons
1 wedge Garlic+Herb Laughing Cow cheese (or sub 1 oz cream cheese)
1/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1/4 t garlic powder (increase to 1/2 t if using cream cheese)
1/4 t red pepper flakes (optional)
1. Spray a skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium.
2. Add mushrooms and a small pinch of salt to skillet and saute until the mushrooms are just beginning to brown, 4-5 min.
3. Add zucchini and sausage, saute for an additional 3-4 min, and add brussels sprouts.
4. Once sprouts are just tender, add broth and cook until reduced by half (3-4 min).
5. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and red pepper and add cheese. Reduce heat to low and stir until cheese is fully incorporated. Serve immediately.
This meal takes about 15 minutes to make between prep and cooking. So really, there’s no excuse to miss Here Comes Honey Boo Boo tomorrow night.